Friday, April 02, 2010

30th birthday memories made.

2010. This is the year I turned 30. Yes, it's just a number, but a pretty important milestone. As most friends say, I don't feel 30.

Birthday celebrations started early on the 24th with this greeting me at work!


You see, I like to knit. 10 ladies in the office got together to make this. Made me smile endlessly all day and is now the benchmark for birthday greetings in the office.

Throughout the day, Toby sent me emails gearing me up for my big surprise. He'd been planning something special for months and I really had no clue what was going on. I discovered my surprise when I found myself at Stansted airport on the morning of my birthday. We were going to Berlin!!

Berlin is a wonderful city. It's still developing so it seems there will always be interesting things to see while walking around. As my favorite things are walking and eating, this proved to be the perfect weekend away. The Prenzlauer Berg area where we stayed was lovely and quiet. There were cars parked everywhere, but it seemed no one drove them. Everyone was walking or on their bicycle. Little cafes and markets tucked away on every corner. And stands selling bratwurst and chips. Covered with a sprinkling of curry powder.

I took loads of photographs and you can find them all on flickr. Here are a few of my favorites.

Birthday Currywurst
Fernsehturm

Corner
Helmut Newton
The last wurst of the trip

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow - what a lovely surprise to be whisked off for your birthday.
I spent a few days in Berlin a few years ago and thought it was a great city. So much to see and of course German food is fab.

jane said...

Happy happy birthday!! What a brillliant present! I really want to see Berlin some time soon. And that knitted greeting is amazing, what great colleagues you have!
Amazing photos... the holocaust memorial ones are really wonderful. Damn, i need to get my paws on a new camera...

Charlotte Holmes said...

I love the photograph--the third one, black and white, of the man looking down. It's beautifully seen!