Monday, September 06, 2010

Mom in the City.



Yep, the mom came to visit last week! (No, that wasn't her. Just a lovely dog she liked.) She's been to London a few times before so we didn't need to see Buckingham Palace or Big Ben (though we did end up seeing Parliament and a few times).

Instead, I took her to Shoreditch (trendy) and Peckham. That's right, I said Peckham.



Last summer I heard about this place called Frank's Campari bar. It is on the rooftop of a disused carpark in Peckham. We never got around to going and I thought this would be a good opportunity to show my mom a place off the touristy path.

It wasn't signposted too well, but we found it and very hesitantly boarded the lift. I know we were all thinking the same thing when Toby bravely pressed the 7th floor button. "Please don't break down. Please!!" The thought of getting stuck in that thing for who knows how long was very scary. The place looked deserted so who knows how long it would have taken for help to arrive.





The top couple of floors had some art installations (it IS art Toby) and the very top of the carpark hosts some picnic tables with half of covered in a tent/tarp thing. We all got drinks (gin collins for my mom and I - very sour, but very good). I had a brief moment where I thought food would be a good idea. I even glanced at the big chalkboard with the evening's menu. £10 for chili. I repeat. £10 for a chili. You've got to be kidding me. No food for us. Just some drinks and a view, before it started to rain.



Peckham is a great place for a view of a city. Who knew?

2 comments:

vix in the city said...

you take your mum to all the best places!!!! that carpark/bar looks pretty desolate!

Charlotte Holmes said...

An unused carpark seems like such an anomaly, it would be worth going just to see THAT. But a bar on top of it! Win-win! Looks like y'all had a great time.